Friday, August 13, 2010

Leaving the San Blas

Like I said, where does the time go? Left Chichime at 6:30 in the morning and headed towards Isla Grande, going on the outside of the Escribos Reef. At the same place we hooked (and lost) a wahoo the last time, we had three hits at once. Brought in the hand reel and had a wonderful blackfin tuna. The other two hits were too small to keep, but, hey, we had a couple of really good meals. I went below to check into the 6209 net, said we were out here, but had to get back up to help deal with the fish. Got back on deck, looked around ... I thought we had a fish?? Somehow the line that Dennis had hooked through the tuna to bleed it had unhooked itself, so there's a shark out there enjoying my tuna dinner! :( And, no, it didn't come loose from the fish, it somehow, line and all, came unattached from the boat. I wasn't going to check into the San Blas net, but Angel Heart said he had heard us on the earlier net and wanted to know how the fish was. Sadly, I had to admit that we were now a catch and release boat.

Amazingly, had a pretty good sail most of the way, with full main and both jibs. Pulled into Isla Grande, relaxed and swam. Enjoyed a couple of days there, finally getting some walking in, but also a ton of rain. That's okay, filling the water tanks and getting laundry done.

Took the dinghy through the cut from Isla Grande to Isla Linton and realized, with good sun, you could make it through easily. Well, when we went to leave, the sun was hiding, so we went the long way around, dropping our anchor in 40' of water. Enjoyed our time catching up with Lynn and Randy on High States, Michael on Panda (Edie was back in the States), and a quick hi to Bob and Jeannie on Island Dreamin'. Sadly, we heard that Petra from Kokomo had been diagnosed with colon and liver cancer and they were hoping she would be well enough to fly back to Germany. I'm glad we stayed around for an extra day and were able to say hi to Peter (Kokomo), tell him we'd be back in the fall if he needed anything for the boat, and just give a hug. Life is short all!

And, speaking of stuff like that happening -- Lara from Antipodes, the boat we went through the Canal on, has been diagnosed with a brain tumor. She's had two surgeries and is now undergoing radiation. If you believe in the power of prayer, please send all you can her way! You can follow her progress at

Left Isla Linton and headed up to Portabello, where we had a wonderful time for a couple of days ... until I felt horrible! Well, okay, just a fever, cough and feeling really bad. Didn't eat or drink for five days. For anyone who knows me, that explains how bad I felt!!!! Really wasn't a good time for that, since I was trying to get as much done before we left as I could.

Our dingy trip up the river and a beautiful rainbow over the anchorage

We were able to watch a Dockwise boat sending off two small ships, and then the Festival of the Virgin Del Carmen, where they decorated the boats with yellow and white balloons and flowers and drove through the anchorage.

With the free wifi we can pick up from the hotel, this is a wonderful place to anchor. Only rolled once when the wind changed. Had worse roll in Isla Grande and Linton.

Also took a few bus trips in from the Linton area and Portabello. These buses are amazing. Basic school buses with the most amazing artwork you've ever seen. The photos we have here actually have an airbrushed photo of the driver's daughters!

Finally, time to leave and head into Shelter Bay Marina. The main sail is the only one left up still, for stability, while we motorsail up there.

Where does the time go?? ~~~_/)~~~

No comments: